STEREO BUS COMPRESSOR
Classic British Diode-bridge Compression.
Introduced in 2019, the Heritage Audio Successor stereo mixbus compressor was a first in its class, finally allowing creative engineers and musicians to apply warm, colorful and fat compression when all that was previously available was clean and transparent VCA-based processors for these duties.
Adopted early by top class engineers such as Chris Lord-Alge, the Successor will let you feel how your separate tracks interact and blend together in a way not possible when master bus compression duties are relegated to the mastering stage.
Traditionally, bus compression has been taken care of by VCA-style devices, based on ICs, which are wholly unrelated to the warmth, fatness and character typically associated with discrete Class A technology, including chunky transformers and diode bridge-based gain reduction.
The Heritage Audio Successor brings all these…and more.
A fully Carnhill transformer coupled input and output unit, the Successor is a true-stereo diode bridge-based bus compressor with advanced sidechain filtering and built-in parallel processing capabilities, with the Class A 73 type output stage that Heritage Audio is famous for.
Carnhill input transformers are hand wound at the Oxford factory exclusively for Heritage Audio, enclosed in green mu metal cases for modern day studio noise immunity. The vintage character is indeed guaranteed and you won´t find them in any other brand´s products.
Based on legendary vintage diode designs, the Successor keeps the sonic character of such units, but the added features have already taken it into legendary status on its own.
It is a new beast on its own and will make your mixes shine in modern production environments.
Ultra-fast attack and releases allow for larger than life drum bus compression sounds, while the sophisticated sidechain filters let you sculpt your mix in ways not previously possible.
Snare drums can be more present and the stereo image widens as there is more natural room for tracks to breathe.
From FET-like, all-buttons-in drum sounds (and in stereo!!) to VCA style mix bus with the added warmth and fatness only custom transformers can supply, the Heritage Audio Successor is designed to live permanently hooked up to your mix or instrument buses and make your mixes shine.
Now vocals stand out in the mix without being overwhelming or mudding out your guitars or other instruments.
- True Stereo operation on single controls with matched gain cells for extremely precise left/right tracking and nearly zero offset in between channels. Compression tracking works in Oxford mode (highest signal takes over compression opposed to summing left and right channels).
- Carnhill based, transformer coupled balanced inputs and outputs for added character and vintage vibe.
- ´73 style Class A output stages bring the desired ´73 sound to your mix or drum busses.
- Diode-bridge based compression excels in bringing 2nd order harmonic distortion characteristics and true vintage tone while eliminating nasty odd harmonic content.
- Ultra-fast attack and release time options impossible to find in vintage designs allows for far more flexible settings, including FET like sounds and volume maximizing without transient artifacts.
- Complex sidechain filtering options work with the already common high pass filters, introducing mid band peak type filters and high-frequency compression, allowing bus correction not possible before.
- Sidechain SEND and RETURN connections allow for external sidechain signals to control the processing.
- Blend control offers built-in parallel compression without the need for any external equipment. Blend ON/OFF button allows for instant comparison between WET and DRY signals.
- Stepped controls for easy recall of settings.
- Maximum input level: Over +22 dBu.
- Maximum output level: Over +26 dBu into 600 Ω.
- Self Noise: Less than -75 dBu.
- THD+N (50 Hz – 20 kHz): DYNAMIC IN not engaged, less than 0.07% at +20 dBu.
- Frequency response: ± 0.5dB, 15 Hz- 30 kHz.
- Input impedance: 10 KΩ, transformer balanced and floating.
- Output impedance: Less than 75 Ω, transformer balanced and floating, Class A driven.
- Dimensions (W x H x L): 482mm x 44mm (1 Rack unit) x 185mm.
- Weight: 3.380 Kg.
September 23, 2020
January 22, 2020
November 18, 2020